Denizen Works is an architecture practice based on Hackney City Farm in the heart of London.
With a growing international portfolio, the office is looking to recruit a pro-active Studio Manager/Director’s Assistant to help manage our studio, assist our two directors and look after the team of 6 staff.
The office was founded in 2011 to explore projects of diverse scales and typologies. As a denizen is, among other things, a plant naturalised on foreign soil, we aim to make architecture that is rooted in an understanding of place.
Our projects, though scattered across the UK and beyond, are all joined in an approach which taps into local history, landscape and community. Collective output is fundamental to our working practice, and we want the successful candidate to become an integral part of our creative team.
Our work is recognised through international publications and awards, including the BD Architect of the Year 2022, RIBA National Award, RIBA London Award, RIAS Award and the Stephen Lawrence Prize.
The role will require the ability to show initiative, prioritise tasks and ensure our directors are where they need to be. The successful applicant will flourish in a friendly creative environment. They will be keen to muck in and assist alongside deadlines demand and will do so with good humour. They will be someone with a cheerful disposition and a can-do attitude.
- Maintenance of insurance, subscriptions, and other essential business tools
- Assist with invoicing process and fee forecasting
- Management and troubleshooting of software and liaise with support when required
- Manage requests of images and materials with institutions and press
- Assist with the management of digital media including website and socials
- Assist with bookings of office trips and meetings
- Manage email accounts
- Manage directors’ communications
- Coordinate diaries and travel
- Manage office supplies and liaise with relevant suppliers
- Answer the telephones and greet visitors
- Manage and repay expenses including co-ordination with bookkeepers
- Assist with human resource process
- Maintain and manage the health and safety aspects of the office
- Respond to requests from directors and other members of the team
- General day-to-day support for the team
- Arranging staff entertainment
Skills & Experience
- Minimum two-year’s experience in a similar role for an architecture or creative organisation
preferable but not essential
- Experience in managing press releases and requests
- Ability to operate Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, Zoom, Slack and understanding
of Xero and Fastmail on Mac
- Proactive and well organised with the ability to meet the demands of a dynamic organisation
- Work both as part of a small team and independently
- Liaise with external partners
- An affinity for Denizen Works’ aims, objectives, and organisational values
- Commitment to equitable opportunities and increasing awareness of the inner workings of
the architecture sector
- Good telephone manner and excellent communication skills
- Above skills are preferable but not essential for the right candidate
What We Can Offer You
- Opportunity to develop your skills and become an integral member of a close-knit, creative
- Opportunities for continued growth and the potential to shape the future of the office
- Friendly office environment
- Flexible working practices
- Unique working environment based on Hackney City Farm with all the benefits of working
with a diverse and tight knit community
Remuneration and Terms of Employment
End of January 2024
1A Goldsmiths Row, London E2 8QA
Freelance 20 + hours per week
£140-£170p/day, depending on experience
Flexible working in a friendly creative environment
By email to email@example.com by 5pm on 2nd February 2024.
Cover email stating why you are interested in the role & a CV on a single side A4. Please note we will only accept digital applications – hard copies will not be considered.
Will be offered during the week commencing 12th February 2024.
Any candidates with restricted availability during these times should indicate this clearly in your cover email.
We are committed to being an equitable employer. We encourage applicants from the broadest range of backgrounds, with different skills and experiences to bring into our organisation.